Mission of the American Clock & Watch Museum
The mission of the American Clock & Watch Museum is to celebrate the
ingenuity and artistry of the industries that launched America’s industrial
revolution and democratized access to accurate timekeeping.
We envision a society
that is inspired by and learns from the interaction between timekeeping and
American manufacturing of timepieces; that values collecting as a mechanism for
personal fulfillment, stimulation, and knowledge; and that fosters a sense of
family and community continuity by creating opportunities for current
generations to connect to earlier generations.
To achieve this mission and vision the museum:
- Maintains the premier historical collection of American clocks and watches that show how these industries developed in America, their historical significance and their contribution to the success of our country.
- Operates a research library with historic and contemporary literature devoted to the history, development and manufacture of timekeepers.
- Supports a publication program to acquire, prepare, edit, publish and distribute new and reprinted documentary materials relative to clock and watch making and manufacture.
- Studies and interprets the history of American horology through educational programs to both general audiences and clock enthusiasts, and cooperates with other public and private agencies to make programs available to the widest possible audience.
- Encourages the preservation of information, objects, architecture, and historic sites related to American horology.